Add a Smart Battery
After you’ve created your account, you are ready to set up your Smart Battery and connect it to Wi-Fi. Before you start, make sure that your smartphone is connected to your home Wi-Fi.
Follow the instructions in your app for the most up-to-date steps.
Select “Add new device” in the Roost app. If you already have devices in your Roost account, tap the + at the bottom of the page.
NOTE: You can have multiple physical address locations in one Roost app. Please be sure to add batteries to the correct address. In the example below, the device would be added to the address "Vacation Home." Swiping left or right on your screen will take you to additional address if you have them set up.
Choose which type of device you want to add
- Please be aware that the first time you add a device at this point, the Roost app will ask you to “Allow Roost to access this device's location.” We recommend you allow the application to see your location. Allowing Roost to know your location will let others know if you’re near the alarm when it sounds.
To add a Smart Battery, tap on the Smart Battery icon.
Choose a location for this device
After removing the pull tab (or resetting your battery by removing and replacing the smart module), tap next and indicate the location of the alarm where your Smart Battery will be placed. You can add a custom name for a location if desired. You can always change this later. Then, proceed to add the device name.
"Connect to your Device Wi-Fi" screen
If you have a Second Generation Roost Smart Battery, and an LED on the side of the battery is blinking red, your device is broadcasting a temporary Wi-Fi signal. Please follow the instructions in the app to connect to the Roost-device network. For more information on whether you have an original or a Second Generation Roost Smart Battery, please see here.
Once connected to the 'Roost-device-****', the app will then confirm that your Smart battery has been successfully connected, and you can continue through the steps to add your alarm information.
Audio set up
If you have an original Roost battery, or your silent set up does not work, you will automatically be directed to proceed using the audio set up method once you leave your Wi-Fi settings page and return to the Roost app.
Enter your Wi-Fi password
During setup the Roost app will send via an encoded audio signal your Wi-Fi network (SSID) name to the Roost battery. Please make sure that your Wi-Fi network is working and that you enter in the correct password for your Wi-Fi network. Please note: The password you need to enter in the screen below is for your Wi-Fi, not your Roost Account password.
IMPORTANT: During audio setup, you must be connected to a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network that is in physical proximity to where the alarm with the Smart Battery will reside.
Set up Connection
When you’ve entered the location and Wi-Fi information for your Smart Battery, it's now time to start the important audio connection process that will link your Smart Battery to your Roost account.
As part of setup, the Smart Battery will play a 10-second audio tone. We recommend that you are in a quiet area and get ready to connect by taking the following steps:
- If you have not done so yet, please remove the pull tab from the battery. Please be sure you do not dislodge the Smart Module (the small rectangular piece at the bottom of the battery). You should hear a single beep when you remove the pull tab.
- Locate your phone's speaker.
- On the iPhone, the speakers are located on the bottom of the phone
- The speaker location on Android phones varies by model. The speakers are usually on the front or back of the phone. If you are unsure where your speaker is located, you can refer to our Help Center article: How do I find the external speaker on my Android phone?
You'll be asked to turn up the speaker volume on your phone so that the Roost battery can hear the encoded audio signal from your phone.
- Place the Roost battery so that its sound hole is near the speaker on your phone, about 1/4" to 1/2" (1 cm) away.
Begin the audio pairing process by tapping "Connect." The Roost app will transfer encoded data with your Wi-Fi network name and password to the battery. The connection process may take up to 60 seconds. After the process completes, you'll see the success screen.
If you do not have success with connecting and instead see the screen below, please count the beeps that you hear and tap Troubleshooting tips in your app.
Continue to our help centre article Install and test the Smart Battery in your smoke alarm
Questions? Please contact email@example.com