Once you've set up your Smart device correctly in the app, you can install or place your device and test it to ensure it is working as it should be. Please follow the below instructions for each Roost device.
- Remove the old 9V battery from your smoke alarm. Roost smart batteries work in smoke and combined smoke/carbon monoxide (CO) alarms that use a 9-volt battery, including AC-powered smoke alarms with a 9V battery for backup power.
- Remove the clear protective cap at the top of your Smart Battery. NOTE: You can re-use this to safely dispose of your current 9V battery by simply snapping it on the terminals of the old 9V for disposal.
- Install your Smart Battery in your smoke alarm, inserting it just as you would a conventional 9V battery.
- Test your smoke alarm to check that it and the connection to your smartphone are working. Please ensure that your alarm sounds for at least 15-20 seconds. You should hear the alarm sound and receive a notification on your phone through your Roost app.
- If you do not wish to test the alarm at this time, you can bypass this step in the process and test at a later time.
- If you do not hear the alarm sound when you press the test button, or if you do not receive a notification, please visit our Alerts, Notifications, And Snoozing section of our Help Center.
- Pour a small amount of water on a solid, flat surface and place the leak detector in the water so that the metal rings on the bottom of the detector make contact with the water. NOTE: Do not immerse the leak detector completely in water as this will damage it!
- In a few seconds your leak detector will begin to alarm and the red LED on the cover near the Roost logo will blink.
- To stop the leak detector alarm from sounding, dry off the metal rings on the bottom of the detector thoroughly, especially the small space between them.
- Shortly after your Roost leak detector begins to alarm, you should receive a push notification on your smartphone alerting you that there has been a leak.
- If you don't receive a push notification within a minute, please check your phone settings to make sure you've allowed push notifications from Roost and test again.
- You can then place your Leak Detector anywhere you wish to monitor, as long as there is adequate Wi-Fi signal.
For extra information on where to place your Leak Detector, please see our help center article Where is the best place to install my leak detector?
Garage Door Sensor
Please be aware that the Roost garage door sensor only works with doors that open vertically.
- Go into your garage and ensure that you close your garage door behind you before installing your Garage Door sensor. NOTE: The garage door sensor needs to be installed on the inside of your garage door within 10 inches of the top of the door. Be sure to place it where it will not interfere with the opening and closing of your garage door.
- You can attach the sensor to your garage door in two ways – using the double-sided tape pre-mounted on the clip. NOTE: Be sure to clean the dry the surface of your garage door before attaching the clip in this way. Or you can use the included screws to attach the clip to the garage door.
- Once you have attached the sensor, open your garage door. You should receive a notification to your smart phone. This will show that the sensor is working correctly and that you have adequate Wi-Fi signal in your garage.
- Close your garage door. Your Roost app should now show that your garage door is closed.
- If your app incorrectly indicates that your garage door is open when it is closed, follow the instructions in the Roost app to correct this.